Wednesday 9 March 2016

Save the date: The Sir Denis Mahon Exhibition 2016

Rosie Vohra: To Prepare a Face
The Sir Denis Mahon Exhibition 2016



Private View Tuesday 26th April, 6 - 9pm








Exhibition dates: 
18th to 29th April 2016
Open Monday to Friday 9 am to 9 pm,
Saturday 9,30 - 4,30 pm

Address:  
The Royal Drawing School, 
19-22 Charlotte Road, 
London EC2A 3SG

Rosie Vohra studied BA (Hons) Fine Art at Leeds College of Art (2010–13) where she was awarded the Leeds Student Exhibition Award. She then took part in ‘The Drawing Year’ postgraduate programme at The Royal Drawing School (2013–14) where she was awarded The Sir Denis Mahon Award 2015/16. Selected group exhibitions include: Forever Say, Forever Always, Gage Gallery, Sheffield (2015); One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, Assembly House, Leeds (2015); Hand in Hand, Leeds College of Art (2014). Rosie is currently living and working in Leeds and is actively involved in the work of ‘Precious’ Art Collective.

My practice encompasses painting, sculpture and textiles with the act of drawing being key to the exploration of form. A significant aspect of my work involves drawing from the marrying of my imagination and observation and how this allows me to create an intuitive and conscious response to reality.

I often begin drawing from observation and adjust scenes with reoccurring characters, Indian mythology, pattern and colour. The suggestion of a narrative in these works provides a backbone to the arrangement of objects and images that are made in a variety of ways. Within these arrangements I aim to address how a piece of work has the ability to demand a physical space. I believe negative space defines our relationship to an object or another person and is an element that exists in both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional work, whether it is a figure on a page or sculpture in a room.

Being half Indian, I have always been fascinated by Indian culture. Although I have a good understanding of it, it is a side of myself I don’t feel entirely familiar with. The Sir Denis Mahon award has provided me with the opportunity to visit India for the first time, which has been an insightful period to identify, observe and confront the underlying themes of my work. The award has also allowed me to prioritise my practice as my prime daily concern with the direction of working towards an exhibition at the end of the year.

The work that will be on show at ‘To Prepare a Face’ will include embroidered wall hangings, drawings, sculpted heads and paintings on objects, all of which I consider to be an exploration of drawing. 
    

Click here to be redirected to the artist's website.